Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lunch with Mr Kee

Wantan and swey kou

ngou lam meen

Mr Kee, my old friend

Aaaaahhhh... Another day on the desk.
This afternoon, I took an early lunch break with an old friend Mr Kee Thuan Chye. He wanted to try out Section 17's Kai Pei Hor Fun but when we got there, they have ran out of this dish.
The old fart manning the hor fun stall was shouting: "Mou chor lah.." (no more). He had this fart face with a PMS attitude. So, fuck him!
So, as a contingency plan, we shot off to SS4 in Kelana Jaya for some seafood noodles. No luck. Later, I suggested Curry Wong's hor fun at Sunway Mentari Business Park, it was closed.
Frustrated, Mr Kee and I went to Wong Soon Kee in SS15, Subang Jaya. There, we had some wantan noodles.
I ordered a plate of kwon lou ngau lam meen (braised beef noodles with dry gravy).
The meal was good and since this was Mr Kee's treat, it became a memorable experience. I told him that I would take him to Ohta-san's yakitori bar at SS15 in Subang Jaya as a farewell treat.
He is also retiring this month and I wish him all the best. Mr Kee and I served at the New Straits Times some years back.
After a long stint there, he moved to The Star and became an Associate Editor over there. My return to The Star was a re-union with this legendary playwright, author and actor.

No comments: