Monday, August 3, 2009

A day at the farm..

Farmer Wong and his produce
Checking the crops
Explaining the GAP certification process to a guest

Its been a long day.
I started off early today by taking the highway to the East Coast Expressway, which is about 45 minutes drive from Subang Jaya.
Took me about an hour and 20 minutes to reach Farmer Wong's place and when I got there, my buddy Ah Pan was preparing lunch.
On the dining table, we had wild boar fried with ginger and braised soft-shelled turtle -- my all time favourite.
Farmer Wong really knew how to entertain his guests.
My mission for the day, was to photograph his farm's activities. An easy job and we started by a walkabout around the yard to determine the composition and photographic angles.
My pledge to farmer Wong is to help him out in promoting his farm and Good Agricultural Practices trademark obtained through the Malaysian Department of Agriculture.
Seems that my farmer friend had been true to his calling of using only biological pest control and organic fertilizers for his produce.
That's why he is one of only two farmers in the country who complied with the high standards.
He told me that a visit to Farmer Lee (a mutual friend of ours) in Cameron Highlands had inspired him to take the GAP challenge.
For farmer Wong, his hardwork had paid off. And of all the friends that I've made over the past few years, this is one man that is sincere.
Which why I gave without question. My contribution is small and is folks like that whose friendship I truly treasure..

No comments: