Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mrs Samo's new bike...

Latest addition to the Speed family - Speed TR

The SRAM Dual Drive II transmission box
After owning two Dahon folding bikes for more than two years, I've decided to upgrade my wife's ride. 
The toss-up was between a Jetstream P8 or a bike with a wider gear selection and the Speed TR came in hands-down.
I must say that the 2011 edition of the TR is impressive.
It has a joule II dynamo power generator that came complete with the Biologic Ree-charge system to enable small electronics like a cellphone and GPS to be charged on the go.
An integrated light on the bike's new Andro stem system came in really handy. It also has a battery compartment of the dynamo is out of commission.
And when you factor in the chromoly frame, weight bearing is absolutely no-frills.
I've had my Dahon Speed P8 rigged in the same manner - front and back traveller's rack. 
With the Speed TR, this came as a standard fitting.
There's a spanniga rear light which was a neat package.
While the Speed P8 is meant for short to middle distance commuting, the TR comes with a set of gear that yields greater distance.
I must say that I marvel at its dual-drive II system which is a combination of traditional cassette gears and a hub with a planetary gear system.
This gives the bike the torque that it'll need to haul stuff and go the distance. 
I don't think tackling hills is now an issue with the 8x3 gearing system.
On the whole, I am pleased with the bike's handling and overall built quality.
Cost wise, I feel that its my Ringgit and Sen well-spent.

6 comments:

Berisman said...

Cantik!I like it.Where can I buy one?How much does it cost?Thanks

samo said...

This one was sold by Rodalink. Its retail price: RM4.5K

Sam

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Eh, nice bikes! Maybe I'll catch you riding around Subang next time I'm there!

Following your blog, nice one.

Follow me too. I'm blogging about life in Kuantan.

www.duncaninkuantan.blogspot.com

samo said...

Thank you for your kind words Duncan..

Sam

Anonymous said...

The SRAM Dual Drive II transmission box... wow... dont have this to sell in Brazil... Whats SRAM Dual Drive???

samo said...

Hola Joao,

Love your trans-South America tours on your Curve SL.

The SRAM Dual-drive II works well on small bikes without the need of extra chainrings. Its combination of internal hub gear and cassettes gives it an extra 'edge' for long distance rides and climbing.

I tested the Speed TR and found it to be an awesome ride..

Sam