Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hot swapping the Garmin Oregon 300

The Garmin Oregon series bicycle handlebar mount
One of the distinct advantages of having a Garmin Oregon series handheld GPS is versatility.
I've been carrying this GPS unit for nearly three years and its been serving me well.
The large display and touch-screen feature is a far cry from my Garmin GPS72csx marine unit.
And since I started cycling my Dahon Speed P8 folding bike, I've been using the Oregon 300 to map my route.
It has a permanent handlebar mount which I had purchased sometime back.
Now that I have rigged up my Dahon Curve SL for some road trips, the only missing part is the handlebar mount.
It took a bit of effort to locate it as none of the Garmin GPS dealers here in Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur had even heard of it.
I made a trip to Plaza Low Yat and checked out a few shops there and initially, it turned out to be futile.
My last straw was a shop located on the first floor called 'Premier GPS'.
They had two mounts sold at rediculous prices.
Seeing as it is, I had no choice.
I am not going to Singapore to get this piece of plastic fastened with two cable ties.
The scarcity of such an accessory in KL had pushed prices rocket high.
Now that the issue is no longer at hand, I can ride my Dahon Curve SL with a piece of mind!

No comments: