Saturday, July 20, 2013

Harsh criticism..



A foundation for good business..

In the harsh world we live in, which is pretty much about reality: one must be able to stomach criticism.
Not everyday is a bed of roses where people praise you for all your good deeds.
A colleague told me that it takes only one mistake to take down everything you have built up over the years.
Generally, people would remember you for all the stupid and bad things you've done. Now, that's the harsh reality.

Reaping the seeds I sowed... 

A couple of months ago, I criticized an outfitter for charging an exorbitant amount for sharpening a cheap machete.
In today's day and age of remote learning, the internet becomes a treasure trove for information.
Switch on your browser, do a search on "sharpening knife", spend 15-minutes on YouTube, you became a "knife sharpening expert" in no time.
Similarly, the store's employee was also trying to peddle knives to the underaged.
So, that said, I think the owner was unhappy.
A business, whether it succeeds or fail, depended entirely on the good standing of its employee and how its being managed.
If you have an employee who is self-centered and profit-orientated, then it'll be hard to grow your business.
What made me embarrassed, was the fact that I saw what happened.
The part-timer was grinding a long machete on a belt. The surface of the blade was nearly destroyed and for such a shoddy job, the guy charged his unsuspecting customer a bomb.
I knew for a fact that the guy was aiming for a high-end production knife which in the end, he actually bought and criticized heavily.
Still, what kind of ticked me off was the exorbitant fee and poor workmanship.
So, in plain English, the customer got ripped off and the extra money went into the guy's pocket.
To rub salt to the wound, the part-time dude used his employer's machine and equipment to do the job. 
I have no beef with the guy if he took the machete home and spend hours hand-finishing the knife. 
Being ethical, I informed the money man who actually owns the rig.
That said, I guess the ripples became a wave and eventually, the guy got reprimanded for his actions. 

Being childish..

I remember growing up, not being "accepted" by a clique. 
The ring leader simply "don't friend" an outcast.
This happened when I visited the store with all my stuff donated to the owner for the purpose of education - packed up in a box.
The guy rejected my offerings. This is direct insult and a polite way of saying: "FUCK OFF!".
Then, on Facebook, the same guy "unfriended" me.  Hahahah! Feels like I am an eight-year-old again.
I take this with a pinch of salt, and I think I won't miss anything.. 
My loss, his gain.
I looked up at the sky, seeing its vastness and reflected. 
The store in Subang Jaya is not the only outfitter in the world. 
Funny thing is this: I actually looked up to this guy, but after all the hoo-haas and hullabaloos, I guess my respect for him had gone down the drain.
So what if he could rub two sticks and make fire out of it? 
I kept seeing the same tricks on different occasions.
If you treat people like dirt, its time to move on. And in a service-orientated business, the Customer always have the last say.

Leading the blind.. 

In a company of blind men, the one-eyed man is King!
I recently read an article in StarTwo about knives. The writer quoted a "Gear improvisation guru", in reference to the owner of the outfitter's store.
Maybe its the author's way to complement all the knowledge passed through by the "expert".
But then again, knowing the truth can be painful.
Seeing as it is, I let things be.
Like a good teacher once said: "Don't say anything, anymore. Just let it fade..."

Addendum..

Ah! The power of the internet! Since I posted this comment, it's been linked to Facebook where the Gear improvement guru's friends are lurking. Well, I think I got the word across.. So, let the games begin!

No comments: