Sunday, December 1, 2013

Assignment: Kyoto - Part 3

Out on my own..

Michelle had her conference to deal with and the remaining days that I had in Kyoto was entirely up to how I plan to do things.
So, I took a trip to the downtown area on my first day.
The subway fare from Kokusaikaikan to the Kyoto Central station costs 280 Yen (RM8.80) one-way. If you plan to use the subway a lot, there is a day pass that costs 600 Yen (RM18.90).
Taxi fares can cost a bomb, so, avoid this at all cost.
From Kokusaikaikan, the ride to Kyoto Central is roughly about 25-minutes.

The outskirts with Mount Heiai in the background

A typical scene in the subway
 After alighting from the train, I walked towards Yodobashi electronics store.
This is one of the very few places that opens at 9am till 9pm and you can find a lot of electronic stuff including cameras and bicycles sold at the store.
I found the camera stuff too expensive and the bikes are extremely cheesy.
But that's just the way it is in Japan. 
If you come visit with a preconceived idea that the common Japanese dude would cycle a real cool bike, then you would be in for a rude shock.
Most of the Japanese bikes are cheap stuff that will find its way to a used bicycle shop in Malaysia.
High-end bikes are only sold in boutiques are these are considered as "expensive" in the country. 
Compared with what I witnessed, I'd say that we Malaysians are spoiled in terms of choices when it comes to quality folding bikes.
From Yodobashi, I took a walk around the downtown area.
After crossing two traffic lights, I came to a park area and took some photos there.
The sunlight and the foliage in late fall is a sight to behold!

Fall in its full splendour...
Kyoto tower

A paid bicycle parking facility

Cheap in Japan...

I don't have to worry about breakfast and dinner. It's taken care of.
And when it comes to dealing with the most important meal of the day, I load up to the max in anticipation of a long walk in the downtown area.
A bottle of mineral water costs 150 Yen (RM4.80) from the vending machine. If you carry a water bottle, you can purchase a 2-litre bottle from supermarkets at 89 Yen (RM2.80) a bottle.
And when you are hungry, instant noodles are there to keep your tummy from rumbling.
A typical Nissin Cup Noodle costs 102 Yen (RM3.30) from rural supermarkets and 128 Yen (RM4.20) in 24-hour convenience stores such as "Lawsons", 7-11, Family Mart, Circle K Sunkus and so on.
But if you want something "heavy", then it would be a trip to the Family Mart where lunch boxes are sold.
A typical fare comprising rice with vegetables and meat costs 298 Yen (RM9.40). This is a complete meal and after paying for it, the check-out clerk will heat it up for you with the microwave oven.
This is also a typical set meal for the sararyman (salary-man) on his lunch break.

My lunch box, costing under RM12 in Kyoto

Meals Ready to Eat

Lunch at Family Mart
Walk till you drop...

Statistics recorded by my fitness tracker


On the average, I walked about 15km a day.
Saw lots of interesting places and I did wish that I had my little 16" Dahon bike to cover more areas. 

No comments: