Sunday, April 27, 2014

New Balance 990v3



Seeking a worthy replacement..

I take footwear very seriously.
Why? Because I spend the whole day at work wearing it.
My criterias: comfort and performance.
And I was pretty disappointed when New Balance had discontinued their NB1521s. 
I replaced my 1520 two years ago with the 1521 that succeeded it.
Eventually, it was taken out of New Balance's inventory...

A visit to Taiwan

I was told that there are plenty of shop selling New Balance shoes. 
One place in particular sold the US-made NB 990s.
This is version 3 of the footwear and it has some really remarkable features.
What I love about it is the 4E width.
This means, guys like me who has a broad foot is able to wear it with much comfort.
I took the plunge by paying NT$6,900 (about RM720) for a pair of the 990v3.
This shoe runs wide and fits like a glove.

Speaking of comfort, it yields plenty of cushioning and stability.

Likes and dislikes

The 990v3 is a well-built shoe.
It's entirely made in the USA and is meant for running.
I've cycled through many New Balance shoes over the last 10 years and so far, the most expensive pair in my keeps is the NB2040. These would go for nearly RM2k a pair here in Malaysia.
On the 990v3, the NB logo is reflective and this worked very well.
What I don't particularly like, is the white sole which gave it that "schoolboy" look.
Other than that, I don't have much bad things to say about this shoe!

No comments: